Thursday, September 27, 2012

Week 4: Predictions

Good morning football fans! I'm sure this football season has most of you just as confused as I am. At start of this season, I don't think anyone would ever imagine that the Saints would be 0-3, the Cardinals be 3-0, the Patriots & Packers would be 1-2, or that the Bears would be leading the NFC North. I'm currently sitting at a record of 23-25 in predictions, so I need to get a lot of these right to catch up. Here's my expert opinions:

Cleveland (0-3) at Baltimore (2-1):
Alright. Two of my "no-brainers" last week ended up going against me. BUT...this is a no brainer. The Ravers have done well against even great QBs like Tom Brady and Michael Vick (OK, he's not doing great, but still...). I can't imagine Brandon Weeden having a great game against them. Still, it'll be interesting to watch the Browns' emerging defense against the Ravens' new offense, and divisional games are always fun. I also can't wait to see Trent Richardson vs. Ray Lewis/Haloti Ngata.
Ravens stomp the Browns: 28-3.

Carolina (1-2) at Atlanta (3-0):
So the Falcons are 3-0 and looking strong, while the Panthers are 1-2 and looking inconsistent. The Falcon's defense is looking solid and the offense is looking...well still dink-and-dunk, but the weapons are making things happen. However, their run game has fallen off. If the Panthers want to win this one, they need to do two things: 1) Convert on third down (the Falcons aren't great at stopping it); and 2) Keep Cam Newton focused and poised. If the Panthers fall behind, consider this game over.
Give me the Falcons: 31-14.

New England (1-2) at Buffalo (2-1):
Who would have guessed that the Bills have a better record than the Patriots? These games are always fun to watch and the rivalry is pretty intense between these two. Remember, the Bills upset the Patriots last year. Still, I can't see Belichik dropping 3 in a row, it just doesn't seem like him. However, the Pats have to get pressure on Fitzpatrick or he will pick them apart. Watch for Wes Welker to have a big day.
Patriots for the win: 24-20.

Minnesota (1-2) at Detroit (1-2):
The Vikings are coming off of a huge win over the 49ers while the Lions are coming off of a huge loss from the Titans. However, I think the Lions' offense is a lot more explosive than the 49ers'. It'll be interesting if Shaun Hill is still in but, even if he is, Megatron alone can beat the Vikings. Watch the Lions' D-Line. They were without a sack last week and need to get to punishing the QB. Believe it or not, I think this game becomes a shootout. However, I don't think momentum carries the Vikings this week.
I give home field advantage to Detroit: 34-28.

Tennessee (1-2) at Houston (3-0):
I'm going to be much more careful about declaring teams curb-stomping the Titans. However, I think the Texans are going to curb-stomp the Titans. Its all about stats here. Both teams' star players are their RBs. Chris Johnson has 98 yards in 3 games, while Arian Foster has 294. The Texans allow almost 68 rushing yards per game, while the Titans allow over 150 rushing yards per game. Actually, it goes more or less down to each teams' O-Line, but the Titans' line has been bad all season. Look for J.J. Watt to eat Jake Locker alive.
I'm never drafting CJ2K in fantasy ever again. Texans take it: 34-13.

San Diego (2-1) at Kansas City (1-2):
So the Chiefs are coming off their first win of the season while the Chargers are coming off their first loss. Honestly, I still think both teams are sub-par. The Chiefs boosted their stats with a huge win last week over the Saints, so I'm not really going to look into their stats too much. Still, the Chargers allow about 67 yards on the ground; that should be enough to stop Jamaal Charles. 
Ehhhh...give me the Chargers: 21-17. I'm not really comfortable with this pick.

San Francisco (2-1) at New York (Jets) (2-1):
One of these teams has an excellent defense and an offense that is just good enough to deal with the other team's pretty good defense. The other is the New York Jets. The 49ers offense looked dismal last week, but the Jets' offense probably looked even worse. The Jets lost their best defensive player for the season and they still have a USC QB. This is probably going to be a defensive slugfest, but I think the answer is pretty simple.
Give me the physical, pissed-off 49ers: 24-10.

Seattle (2?-1?) at St. Louis (1-2):
The ?s mean that the Seahawks shouldn't have won, by the way. I really don't see St. Louis winning this one. The Seahawks' run game is tearing teams a new one and the Rams run defense isn't fantastic (120 yards per game). Meanwhile, the Seahawks' defense is on fire. Right now, I'd say its about 2nd best in the league, and I'm probably underestimating them. I can't see the old and decrepit Steven Jackson or the lack-of-rhythm Sam Bradford doing anything against them.
Seahawks on the road: 17-7.

Miami (1-2) at Arizona (3-0):
This is going to be more interesting that most people would think. The Dolphins' defense isn't half bad and the run game is coming along. If I were the 'Fins, I would focus on stopping the pass all the time. The Cards haven't ran it much and the 'Fins defense can stop the rushing attack with just 4 rushers. The eyes on both teams' QBs. The game depends on which of the young QBs does better. Thats my hypothesis. Aaaaaaand I think the Cards defense shuts down Tannehill more than the Miami shuts down Kolb.
I give the edge to the Cardinals simply because they have Fitzgerald: 21-13.

Oakland (1-2) at Denver (1-2):
This is another good divisional game. The Raiders are coming off of a tough win, while the Broncos seem to be struggling a little bit; mainly Manning struggling with his arm strength. The Raiders further proved last week that if they can get the running game going, victory is far more certain. The Broncos are decent against the run so it should be interesting. However, I think the pass rush will get to Carson Palmer, who is notorious for mistakes. Should be an interesting matchup.
Buuuut. I've got the Broncos on this one: 24-17.

Cincinatti (2-1) at Jacksonville (1-2):
Jaguars got by with a lucky win last week. I don't think Mike Zimmer and the Bengals let that happen to them. If the Jags want to win this contest they're going to have to put up points, and lots of them. The Bengals defensively haven't been very good in the red zone. The Jaguars cannot afford to waste any opportunities to score. I would look for Justin Blackmon to do something, as he has been nonexistent so far this season. The Jags also need to stop AJ Green.
Too many "ifs" for me to side with the Jags. Bengals take it: 27-13.

New Orleans (0-3) at Green Bay (1-2):
This is another game thats intriguing in its own right. At the beginning of the season, these two teams were viewed a title contenders. Now they're not looking so great. Both teams need good coaching for this game: The Saints to keep morale, the Packers to move on from the win that was stolen from them last week. The Packers showed that they had a week offensive line last week, but the Saints' D-Line isn't strong enough to take advantage of it. The Saints are weak against the run, but the Pack don't have the greatest run game either. Then again, I think even the weakest run game stands a chance against the Saints. I also have to wonder how rookie CB Corey White is going to deal with Jordy Nelson. He's been struggling so far this season and Nelson is one of the best slot corners in the game. The Saints are going to have to game plan this one better or they will lose. Watch out for Clay Matthews. The Saints distraught O-Line has to stop him and the rest of the Packer pass rush if Brees wants to do anything.
Ugh. This goes against my team. Packers: 41-30.

Washington (1-2) at Tampa Bay (1-2):
I'm actually pretty excited to see this one. This will be a real test for RGIII, as the Bucs have one of the best run defenses in the game (allowing less than 50 yards a game). They shut down Cam Newton pretty handily, and he and his RBs are more experienced than the rookie QB & RB on the Redskins. Then again, Josh Freeman of the Bucs has looked absolutely atrocious this year and the Redskin's defense isn't horrible. This one should be interested. My gut says go with the Bucs, but my gut was wrong twice last week.
Therefore, go 'Skins: 28-24

New York (Giants) (2-1) at Philadelphia (2-1):
Man. I feel bad for both QBs here. Both of these D-Lines are, arguably, the best pass rushing D-Lines in the game. Expect to see both Eli and Vick on their backs constantly. Both have stud WRs, both have solid secondaries, both have sub-par line back corps. This game should actually be intense. I give the edge to the Eagles here simply because they have a good RB in Lesean McCoy, where the Giants' run game is just...eh. The G-Men aren't great at stopping the run and it will be difficult for them to accout for both McCoy and Vick.
Just a little for the Eagles: 30-24.

Chicago (2-1) at Dallas (2-1):
This game is all about match ups. DeMarcus Ware vs. J'Marcus Webb (Battle of Marcuses?); Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery vs. the tough Cowboys secondary; Sean Lee vs. Jay Cutler. I put more pressure on the 'Boys' Defense and the Bears Offense. If one of these falters, the other wins the game. It'll also be fine to watch DeMarco Murray against Brian Urlacher, and the Cowboy's shaky offensive line against Julius Peppers, who's been relatively quiet this season. Should be a fun matchup, but both teams need a win to stay atop their division.
Its a tough match, so I'll go with home field advantage. Cowboys: 24-20.

So theres my match ups. No power rankings this week, but I'll be sure to get them next week.

Hope you guys enjoy your weekend of football. I'll be posting my next blog right after the Saints game on Sunday.

To get more up-to-date info on the NFL, be sure to follow me on that Twitter thing @The_JurisDoctor.

For other expert opinions, feel free to take a look at my comrades below.

Jrad: Week 4 Predictions

Juris Doctor. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment